Application deadline: August 31, 23:59 GMT-6
Rising Voices is pleased to be a partner in two upcoming workshops in Nicaragua and Guatemala for young people using digital media for social change. Together with our partners Hivos and workshop organizer Dialogía, these “camps” under the name “Activistmo” will bring together young people between the ages of 18-25 that are taking advantage of the Internet and digital tools to promote social change, to register complaints, organize activism, or build participatory spaces in one or many of the following topics:
- Environmental issues (including sustainable development, agro-ecology, water and mineral resources, etc.)
- Civil and political rights (including public sector transparency, freedom of religion, and freedom of speech, etc.)
- Social inclusion (including access to culture, educational opportunities, sexual diversity, women's rights, etc.)
- Digital inclusion (including free software, digital rights, closing the digital divide, net neutrality, etc.)
These camps are a part of a series of initiatives sponsored by Hivos, in which Rising Voices has been a key organizing partner. These activities have focused on young people and the use of digital and citizen media for social change, and include the “Digital Natives With a Cause?” workshop held in Santiago, Chile in 2010 and the “Conectándonos” gatherings held in Cochabamba, Bolivia in 2011 and Loja, Ecuador in 2012. Dialogía also organized a Central America event called “Conectémonos” held in Costa Rica in 2011.
Before applying, please review the following details:
- The camp for Group 1 will take place in Managua, Nicaragua on September 28-30, 2012. The camp for Group 2 will take place in Guatemala on October 19-21, 2012.
- Applications will only be received from individuals from Costa Rica and Nicaragua (Group 1) and from El Salvador and Guatemala (Group 2). Unfortunately we cannot include Panama or Honduras in these workshops. However, there will be a workshop focused specifically on Honduras in 2014.
- Hivos will cover the cost for land transport, immigration fees, meals, accommodations, and workshop materials.
What are the camps all about?
With these camps, we want to help networks of young people to take full advantage of information and communication technologies to promote social transformation. The specific objectives are:
- Promote opportunities for training and analysis for human rights.
- Share basic knowledge in the use of tech tools for cyberactivism.
- Learn key components to build campaigns or projects.
We will have training workshops about digital rights, web privacy tools, and for the basic use of software programs for the greatest impact, among others.
In addition, we will take a look at relevant case studies of cyberactivism.
To apply, please fill out the following application form:
For questions, please use the contact form here.